We share 9 useful tips to improve performance of your laptop, from removing unnecessary programs to adding more RAM. Follow these tips and extend the life of your device without having to spend money on a new purchase.
If your laptop feels slow and unresponsive, it’s tempting to buy a new one instead of upgrading its performance. Before you spend any money, try these tips to speed up your current computer.
Among the most common problems with a poorly performing laptop are long wait times after reboot and slow switching between browser tabs, even with only a few open.
While it’s true that problems with a slow laptop can be frustrating, there are simple solutions to improve its performance and extend its life for several years.
Don’t give up on your old laptop, give it a chance to get its functionality back and save money on a new purchase. In this article we share the best tips and tricks to improve performance of old laptop.
Tips to speed up your old computer
There are several reasons why a computer can become slow. Some of the most common causes include lack of hard drive space, malware or virus, too many programs, among others.
One of the factors that can affect the performance of your PC is having outdated drivers, low RAM or an old operating system that needs to be updated.
But don’t worry, there are solutions to improve the performance of your computer. Here are 9 useful tips to optimize the performance of your desktop or laptop PC.
- Remove programs you don’t need – Uninstalling programs you don’t use or aren’t essential not only helps free up hard drive space, but can also improve overall system performance.
- Get rid of temporary files : Use your operating system’s disk cleanup feature to get rid of temporary files and other unnecessary files that are taking up space on your hard drive and slowing down your computer’s performance.
- Disable programs that run at startup : One way to improve the overall performance of your laptop is to disable programs that run automatically when you turn it on. By doing so, your operating system will have fewer tasks to perform when booting, which will improve its speed and responsiveness.
- Use an antivirus program : Make sure you use a reliable antivirus program and keep it up to date to protect your laptop from viruses and other malware. In this way, you can prevent the system from slowing down and guarantee its optimal functioning.
- Update drivers : Keeping your hardware drivers up-to-date is essential to ensure the proper functioning of your laptop. When the drivers are not up to date, conflicts can arise that affect the overall performance of the system.
- Adjust power options – Adjusting your laptop’s power options can improve performance and battery life. It can help save energy and extend the time you can use your device without charging it.
- Use an external hard drive : A good way to prevent large files from taking up space on your computer’s internal hard drive is by using an external hard drive to store them.
- Use a cleaning and optimization software : To improve the performance of your laptop, it is advisable to use a cleaning and optimization software that helps you remove unnecessary files. In this way, your device will work more efficiently.
- Add more RAM : To improve the performance and speed of your laptop, it is advisable to consider adding more RAM if your device has low storage capacity. This way, you will be able to run more applications at the same time without your computer slowing down or crashing.
It is important to mention that in some cases these tips may not be enough to solve more serious problems. In that case, it may be necessary to consider purchasing a new computer , but it is advisable to exhaust all upgrade options before making that decision.