The Facebook company Meta launches a frontal attack against Twitter. With Threads, Mark Zuckerberg’s company wants to snatch market share from the blue twittering bird. The app is already available in around 100 countries. But in Germany of all places, Threads is not yet up and running – due to data protection concerns within the European Union (EU). It is not yet clear when an agreement will be reached here. But you don’t have to stand by and watch the political tug-of-war – with a trick, Threads can already be used in different countries without any compromises.
Install threads on android
You’ll need the Threads APK file and a VPN service, which you can use to select a country where Threads is already available, such as the US. You do not have to take out a subscription with a VPN provider, a free VPN is sufficient. We recommend the free versions of Proton VPN and PrivadoVPN, both of which provide a US location. But of course it also works with commercial providers like NordVPN or Surfshark. Thats how it works:
- Download the Threads APK file and allow third-party apps to be installed when the system responds.
- Start the VPN service and connect to a server in the US.
- Then open threads and log in with your Instagram credentials.
- Once you have created the account and completed the profile creation, disconnect from the VPN connection. You no longer need the VPN for further use.
Install Threads on iOS
Setup on iPhone and iPad is significantly more complicated given the limited legroom within Apple’s closed ecosystem. The problem: With a German Apple ID, you only have access to the German Apple Store – and so far you cannot find the Threads app there.It still works with a workaround: You change the country and then download the Threads app via VPN. Note, however, that this is a violation of Apple’s Terms of Service.
You act here at your own risk! Caution: If you have a current Apple subscription – for example with Apple Music – it is not possible to change countries during the current subscription.
- Open the App Store and tap on your profile icon.
- Select your account at the top. You may have to log in again with your data.
- Then select Country/Region. Tap Change Country or Region and select USA. Confirm the terms of service with a double tap on Agree.
- Enter the required form data. For the payment methods, select None, the following address data must be real. Here, for example, the address of a hotel from Google Maps is used. Then tap Next and complete the process.
- The US App Store will then open. Download the Threads app but do not launch the application yet.
- In the App Store, change the Country/Region settings back to the original German settings as appropriate in the steps above.
- Start the VPN service and connect to a VPN server in the US.
- After that, open threads and log in with your Instagram credentials.
- After setting up the thread account, you can disconnect the VPN connection again – the app now also works without a VPN.