In the vast universe of video games, online role-playing games (MMORPGs) hold a special place in the hearts of many gamers. Combining elements of RPG, strategy, adventure, and often action, these games offer an immersive and social gaming experience that few other genres can match. Whether you love exploring fantastic worlds, fighting fearsome monsters, completing challenging quests, or just interacting with other players from around the world, there’s an online RPG game to suit your tastes.
Online role-playing games have evolved considerably since their humble beginnings. The first games of this type were simple in terms of graphics and gameplay, but they laid the foundation for modern MMORPGs. Today, these games offer vast and detailed worlds to explore, complex combat systems, rich and deep stories, and a wealth of content to keep players busy for months or even years.
In this article, we present you with a detailed list of the best online role-playing games available today. From timeless classics to exciting new releases, these games represent the best the genre has to offer. Each game comes with a short description and a link to its official website, so you can learn more or even start playing right away.
Whether you’re an MMORPG veteran or a newcomer to the genre, we hope this list helps you find your next great game. So get ready to embark on a new adventure, because the world of online role-playing games is full of endless possibilities.
The Ultimate List of MMORPGs
- World of Warcraft – An MMORPG that changed the landscape of the gaming industry when it was released in 2004. Blizzard has continued to push the boundaries ever since. Link
- Final Fantasy XIV – An MMORPG that has done a truly incredible job transforming this experience; what was once dead on arrival now stands as one of the most consistently impressive MMOs on the market. Link
- The Elder Scrolls Online – It’s the ultimate way to experience Tamriel. With freedom and flexibility built into all of its core systems, and years of expansion packs designed to bring you back to worlds made popular by games like Morrowind and Oblivion. Link
- Old School RuneScape – If you have fond memories of ignoring homework and work assignments to play the legendary MMO in a minimized browser window, then this is the version of RuneScape for you. Link
- Eve Online – It has often been considered the most interesting MMORPG to read, but one of the most boring to play. However, Eve Online is without a doubt one of the most fascinating experiences to come out of the video game industry. Link
- Guild Wars 2 – An MMORPG that has remained popular through a decade of expansion and evolution. There is a depth and scale to its design that remains impressive to this day. Link
- Star Wars: The Old Republic – BioWare’s MMORPG is now over a decade old. Naturally, the free-to-play MMO has changed quite a bit in that time, but the basics remain: expansive storytelling, great production values, and the chance to truly live your own Galactic Republic or Sith Empire. Link
- Black Desert Online – It remains one of the best MMORPGs you can play on console. This open-world MMO offers cross-platform play and support for up to 120 actions per second. Link
- Lost Ark – A relatively new and free MMORPG, released in 2020 as a collaboration between Smilegate and Amazon Games. The game has quickly established itself as one of the most exciting titles on the market. Link
- Fallout 76 – A smaller scale MMORPG that has had a tumultuous trajectory since its release in 2018, though Bethesda Game Studios has worked hard in the ensuing years to breathe new life into its MMORPG. Link
- Neverwinter – A free to play MMORPG based on the popular Dungeons & Dragons RPG. Players can explore the vast city of Neverwinter and its surroundings, fighting their enemies and building their own destiny. Link
- Star Trek Online – This MMORPG allows players to become their own captain of a starship in the Star Trek universe. Players can explore new worlds, meet new races, and fight enemies both known and unknown. Link
- Romans: Age of Caesar – An online multiplayer strategy game where players can build and customize their own Roman city, collaborate with other players to form powerful alliances, and fight for control of the Roman Empire. Link
- Wizard101 – An MMORPG designed to be kid-friendly, where players take on the role of students of magic who must save the universe of Wizard City from the forces of evil. Link
- Destiny 2 – A first-person shooter with MMORPG elements. Players take on the role of Guardians, protectors of the last safe city on Earth, and must fight various alien races to protect humanity. Link
- Trove – An open world MMORPG with a focus on building and exploration. Players can build their own houses, explore vast worlds, and fight enemies in this action-packed game. Link
- Albion Online – An open world MMORPG where players can build, trade, conquer and make their mark on the world. The game features a skill-based combat system and a player-driven economy. Link
- Lord of the Rings Online – An MMORPG based on the popular book series by JRR Tolkien. Players can explore Middle-earth, battle against the forces of Sauron, and experience the stories of the books in an exciting new way. Link
- ArcheAge – An open world MMORPG that offers players a great deal of freedom. Players can build their own houses, grow their own farms, and sail the seas in search of adventure. Link
- WoW Classic – A faithful recreation of the original World of Warcraft. Players can relive the original WoW experiences. Link
- New World – An exciting open world MMO filled with danger and opportunity where you will carve your destiny on the otherworldly island of Aeternum. Link
MMORPG vs other games
Online role-playing games offer a unique and exciting gaming experience that combines elements of strategy, adventure, action, and of course role-playing. Whether you love exploring vast worlds, fighting fearsome monsters, completing challenging quests, or just interacting with other players from around the world, there’s an online RPG to suit your tastes.
It is important to highlight the difference between MMORPGs and other online games. MMORPGs, or massively multiplayer online role-playing games, are a subgenre of online gaming that focuses on role-playing. Players assume the role of a character in a persistent world and interact with other players in real time. MMORPGs typically have a large amount of content and offer a great deal of freedom to players in terms of how they want to play and what they want to do in the game.
On the other hand, other online games can include genres like first-person shooters (FPS), real-time strategy (RTS) games, sports games, racing games, and more. These games can be multiplayer, but they don’t necessarily have the same focus on role-playing and social interaction as MMORPGs.
Ultimately, the choice between an MMORPG and another type of online game will depend on your personal preferences as a player. If you enjoy role-playing, character building, and interacting with a community of players, then an MMORPG may be the perfect choice for you. If you prefer fast action, intense strategy, or sports competition, then you might prefer another type of online game.