The father, the lord, the master of the metroidvania genre is none other than Koji Igarashi. The veteran Japanese developer has shaped one of the most special video game categories and has gifted us with great works through the Castlevania franchise.
In 2019 we received the pleasant premiere of Bloodstained Ritual of the Night, through ArtPlay and under his command. A title that transports us to the best mechanics and elements of their work and that left a great taste in the mouths of the followers. Now, after its success, 505 Games has revealed that a sequel is already in the works.
Thanks to the presentation of results for the third quarter of fiscal year 2020/21, we can go to slide 25 and we will find the following information about the title:
- Latest creation of Koji Igarashi, the former series producer of the Castlevania franchise .
- Publishing rights worldwide on PC and all console formats.
- High Metacritic score (average 81).
- 30.2 million euros of revenue to date : more than a million copies sold.
- Expected lifetime earnings of at least € 30 million.
- Second version in development
We have to look at that last point to confirm a continuation. While the word “version” to refer to the new project can be misleading, just turn to the next slide, 26. In it we have the information of Ghostrunner and this same word is also used to refer to the second part that is fully confirmed.
Beyond this great news, we see that financially the goals set by the publisher in terms of collection have been exceeded. We will see if Master Igarashi will again lead the direction of a game that has been in the making for some time. Now we just have to wait for the release date, platforms and final title.